Friday, August 21, 2009

Comfort Food

Over the last few weeks I've been catching myself mentally filing things away for the next time I talk to my Mom. (Just typing that is making me tear up a bit. I'm sorry.) I think I've done this for years and just didn't really notice it until now, when I can't tell her the funny thing I saw, or how weird the weather is, or what I just finished making. I still keep thinking it though, mentally filing things and then I have a start and remember and it's hard all over again.

Zucchini Quiche

I associate food with memories of my Mom. I think that's not uncommon. I made Rhubarb Crisp the other day and had happy thoughts of Mom making it. I made pickled carrots and again thought of Mom.

On Sunday my younger brother called to tell me that they had a buyer for Mom's house. This wasn't a shock, it's been on the market for a few months, but as I processed the thoughts I had a sudden overwhelming craving for one of my favorites from my Mom's repertoire. Zucchini Quiche. I don't know where the recipe originated, but it was a favorite for the whole family.

Zucchini Quiche Recipe

When I worked at an international boarding school in Germany cooking was a big part of my job. My mom made a recipe book for me with all of my favorites and some other recipes she thought I might enjoy. I have used this book for over 15 years now (you can see the stains) and now it's even more of a treasure for me. Written in her proper longhand, a writing style I was never able to master, it's a tangible and practical connection to my Mom. (here come the tears again. sorry)

Tomorrow I will be heading to Saskatchewan, to the town where I grew up, to help my older brother sort through the house. I don't know what awaits me but I'm terrified of it none the less. I've been avoiding this trip for months now. I don't know how to decide what parts of my Mom's belongings are treasures and what parts are to be given away. Or worse, thrown away.

I know it needs to be done and I know there are things of my Mom's that she wanted each of us to have and those things will be more tangible connections to her. I just might need to make another Zucchini Quiche when I come back though.

Zucchini Quiche2


Mom's Zucchini Quiche
(clarification or things she left out because she figured I had seen her make it enough times in italics)

3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup biscuit mix Bisquick or similar
1 small onion chopped fine
4 eggs beaten
1 tsp butter or margarine
1/2 cup oil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Mix all ingredients together with electric mixer or by hand

Bake in two 10" or one 12" pie pan (I used two 9" pie pans because I didn't have 10") at 350F for 30 - 40 min. Let stand 5 min. before cutting. Also good cold (or reheated for leftovers)

(The biscuit mix will form the crust)

3 comments:

  1. I ran across your blog and wanted to tell you how it touched me. I lost my grandmother a few weeks ago. She taught me to cook, sew, etc., so I think of her alot. I have an old recipe box of hers and I treasure it. I hope things go well with the sale of your mom's house. I am learning to knit, so I look forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so so special to have something like that from your mother, wishing you the best!

    Also if you make the duct tape dress let me know, I'd love to see pics!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.