Sunday, January 21, 2007

New Sweater! FOR ME!!!

Ahh... This is nice. Knitting for me. ME ME ME ME ME. Ehem.

P1200006

Pattern: Mystique by Zia at Per Amore. I first saw this sweater posted on Craftster and have been wanting to make it for a while now.
Yarn Sierra Aran (80% Wool/20% Alpaca; 83m/91 yards) from Elann.com in "Jasper", color 795 (the color I used seems to be gone from the page). I used just a smidgen over 10 balls, so approximately 910-920 yards for the sweater. The color of this yarn is almost impossible to pin down. It is green. But sort of teal. And sometimes it's got more of a bluish tinge. And sometimes it's really really dark green. And sometimes it's not that dark at all. I've given up trying to photograph the color accurately.
Modifications I used a heavier weight yarn than called for and went up a needle size to US7/4.5mm. I used a different lace panel for the center of the body, but for the life of me I don't remember why I did that. I like the original on the pattern, so I'm not sure why I changed it (I like what I ended up with, it's just different than the pattern). I also changed the lace on the cuffs to be a repeat of the lace panel on the sides. I didn't know how I would like having 3 distinct lace patterns on the one sweater. I do like it on the original, but decided to use the same for continuity.

I have a feeling this sweater will become a staple of my wardrobe. If it gets cold again. Ever. (Um, maybe I should take that back. I like the constant chinook weather. Honest. It's just a little strange to have all this wool and sweaters and hardly ever NEED them.)

I have a couple of other things going, but I've been good and only have 2 projects (and a sock)(socks don't count as a project)(right?) on the go right now. My camera batteries died so I don't have in progress pics for you but I do have this:

P1200011

Ahh... Spinning. This is 190g of 85% Wool/15% Mohair dyed by Erynn at Twist of Fate Yarns in the "Grass is Greener" colorway. It is beautiful and so lovely to spin. The colors flow from a grassy green through a teal and a blue. Totally my colors.

Also pictured there is one of the boxes my friend Julie gave me for my birthday. (if my camera batteries weren't dead etc...) She painted them and decoupaged (sp?) beautiful leaves on them. There is a set of 3 in different sizes. Oddly enough (ha) one of them is a perfect size for "in progress" projects; one is perfect to hold the roving while I spin (so I don't have to keep picking up the pile of fiber to move it around in my cramped living room) and the smallest is ideal for odds and ends for knitting and spinning. So thoughtful! (I'll show you when I have batteries)

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous swater!! Great job :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I'm in awe that you knit my pattern!

    It looks stunning on you too- well done indeed!

    Did you find any problems at all with the pattern? It doesn't look like you did which is great :)

    Zia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that sweater! I may have to add it to my "to-do" list. Yours turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Zia,

    One of the next projects I plan on doing is your wonderful Mystique Sweater. I tend to knit gifts for others more than for myself, but this sweater has a bit of everything my husband likes to see on me - texture, shape/drape and simplicity. Blessings to you for sharing! (appreciated your refreshing comment about your favorite book as well)

    Best regards, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh haha.. that's quite funny. I feel a bit awful correcting her, so I won't. Maybe if she reads my comment here she will figure out that it's my pattern. (Thanks for the nice words if you are reading this Kathryn!) :)

    I'm so glad you found it very comfy Lori. I'm planning to make a readers photo gallery when (hopefully) a few more people make the sweater. Do I have your permission to use your pic and link you?

    cheers,
    Zia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so pretty! And looks really nice on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lori,

    I am a graduate research assistant working with Dr Maria Bakardjieva at the University of Calgary. We are looking for bloggers to take part in a research project. If you would like to receive a detailed invitation to participate please email me at calgaryblogresearch@gmail.com or Dr. Bakardjieva at bakardji@ucalgary.ca.
    Kind Regards,
    Georgia Gaden

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sweater is so so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no. Lori, that's just a beautiful sweater, looks fun to knit, gorgeous color, fits great. Help, I don't need another project. Curses to Zia.

    :)

    p.s. thanks, too, for the mods re needle size, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been tagged! Go to my blog to see what you need to do. :)

    Hugs..
    Zia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lori

    Yes that was such a great day for me, finding all those fantastic things... hehe.

    The stitch book is absolutely beautiful and I totally recommend it. They are all charted, which makes like easier I guess ;)

    You bite the inside of your lip too?? Boy, I thought I was the only one. It feels great to know that I'm not!

    Cheers, Zia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the diamond pattern you used for the front of the Mystique sweater. Where did you get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.