Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Day 4: The 10,000m Long Track

Today was Valentine's Day. (If you are reading this and you are surprised and suddenly worried by that news you should probably stop reading and go to the nearest 7-11 or comparable convenience store and pick up something for a significant other, or for yourself. I recommend chocolate.) Now, I'm not a big Valentine's person (shocking, I know, what with the cynicism and all...) but, while I'm not a fan, it doesn't bother me much. People assume that Valentine's Day bothers single women in their 30s but, frankly, it doesn't bother me at all.

In fact, I had a great day. I found all kinds of funny, crazy Valentine's stuff online (like the Gallery of Unfortunate Valentine's Cards at Cap'n Wacky), and I spent the day making the guys worry about the fact that they didn't do anything for their girlfriends. (If you imagined a slightly evil laugh when you read that, you wouldn't be too far off).

I stopped at Safeway on my way home and almost pulled a muscle trying not to laugh out loud. I looked around and as far as the eye could see there were desperate-eyed men trying to find a card, flowers, chocolate, anything... They were 3 deep at the card section, the chocolate displays were a madhouse and the line at the flower counter went around the store. The cashier and I were laughing out loud at the guy who went before me who had a stack of cards, chocolate and flowers but still looked panicked, as though maybe he didn't have enough.

My favorite moment though, the moment that made me laugh out loud literally, came when I walked past a man and his two small boys. The man told them that they had everything and were going to go. He asked if there was anything else and one of the boys shouted out "We have to go smell the coffee!!!" It warms the heart to know that someone is raising their kids right.

Olympic Report:
Having completed the sprint events (sleeves) we now begin the distance events here at the Knitting Olympics (well, here at the Knitting Olympics in my living room). There are rounds and rounds and rounds and rounds of stocking stitch to do before I get to the next color band. (Did I mention the rounds and rounds of stocking stitch?)

I decided to do the bottom of the body in the mismatched dyelot, then do a band in the middle with the green and then the colorwork, a matching band of green and then the yoke in the dyelot that matches the sleeves, since they will be joined to the yoke. I'm hoping it works.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea with the stipe in the middle!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.