Tuesday, January 10, 2006

January=Winter, right?

I think it's winter. I mean, it's January, which, in this part of the world is supposed to be winter. It's just that it's been warm, and there is no snow on the ground and it just doesn't seem like winter. Don't get me wrong. I'm FINE with it not being -30C with tons of snow. Really. I'm fine with it. It's just that I'm sure that winter will suddenly realize that it forgot to hit us and will show up sometime in March. Or July. It is Calgary after all.

But, whenever it comes, I will be ready. For I am a knitter. And I have yarn. Lots and lots of yarn. I should be set when winter decides to come back.

To that end:

I started knitting the alpaca. After working with this yarn, anything else feels like straw. Seriously. It's so crazy soft.

(speaking of crazy: I read a quote by Benjamin Franklin: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." I started this sweater no less than 5 different ways. Does that count as doing the same thing over and over?)

I am using a pattern from my stitch dictionary called "Gothic Windows" but I only did one repeat of the lace "window" part and knit an additional 10 rounds in rib above it.

My plan is to repeat this pattern on the sleeves, in place of ribbing and to do the rest of the sweater plain. It will be a v-neck (I'm sure you're recognizing a pattern here. I like the v-necks) but I don't really have much of a plan worked out yet.

Also, when winter comes back, I will have a warm neck:

The clapotis is speeding along. I don't remember it going this quickly the last time. I didn't do as many increase repeats as called for in the pattern, but I think it will be plenty wide. I can't wait for this to be done!

(yes. I blocked part of the clapotis while I am still knitting. yes, i realize this is crazy-ish. I just love how it looks!)

Also, in my winter preparedness I will have warm, if not slightly 70's looking, feet:

Jaywalker in yarn that I can't remember buying (surely I'm not the only one who has yarn in the stash that I don't remember buying?) that, knit up, looks a lot like a 70's kitchen color scheme.

I was planning to use the blue stripey stuff I got when I went to the LYS for wool wash and came out with wool instead (or actually, in addition), but I could NOT find where the patterns would match up in the 2 balls! I must have pulled out a 1/2 mile of yarn out of each ball and couldn't find the matching repeats.... argh.

Finally, my quick knit winter preparedness sweater:

Knitty's Blackberry in Red Heart Cozy Wool. I don't remember what project I had in mind for this yarn when I bought it, but it was just sitting there looking at me. Browsing through Knitty, I realized that I could use the Cozy Wool for Blackberry. What you see above was cast on at the beginning of the Pittsburgh-Cinncinnati game on Sunday. What you see above was finished as the 3rd quarter was finishing up. Before you get too impressed let me say: Bulky weight yarn, US9/13mm needles. !!

I would have 2 sleeves done but I kept changing my mind about what I wanted to do with the sleeves. The cable in the pattern looks nice, but I had gaping holes where the cables crossed. I came up with another plan, but I'll wait until it's done to post a pic. (I tried but this yarn seems to resist attempts to take pics without proper lighting.)

I will show you this though: I would have been done much sooner than I was if the yarn had not done this:

argh.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous socks and sweater, I love the cabling on the bottom of the sweater.

    Just to let you know, love your blog, and I got the URL from craftster. ::just so its not creepy or anything that a random person posted on your blog:: lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Gothic windows pattern, that's a really nice change from ribbing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pattern for your sweater. I can't wait to see how this one turns out.
    Your Clapotis looks great too-I'm so jealous, I haven't even bought yarn for mine yet. I don't know what color to knit. Oh well, someday it will jump at me, I'm sure.
    Groovy socks!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.