Saturday, December 31, 2005

what? i knit the mitten. honest.

Yesterday I showed you my haul minor stash enhancement that I picked up at the LYS. I also mentioned the minor fact that I had one mitten left to knit for my last Christmas knitting. I cast on for the mitten, because I am NOTHING if not responsible


Feeling proud of myself, my eye wandered to the hanks of Nature Wool for the Clapotis. "Maybe I should wind one of those. Just to see how the color spreads out. Then, if I wind it I'll be ready to go when the mitten is done." As we have already discussed, I am responsible and the mitten was my top priority, knitting-wise.

I have NO idea how that happened. The set up rows and 3 repeats of the increase rows are somehow knit. Who?? What?? How??
okay, FINE I may have knit the set up rows to see how the yarn felt and how the blues moved along the variegation. I really don't know how so many increase rows happened. really.

The knitting on the Clapotis was a one-time lapse in my resolve to knit the mitten. I set the clapotis aside and reached for the mitten. My hand had to pass the Only Stretch for Shedir in order to get to the mitten and somehow

In my defense, I was really really curious about how this yarn would be to knit. Also, this is TECHNICALLY a gift, although it will be a combination Christmas/Birthday gift. I was only going to knit the ribbing and somehow ended up with one full cable repeat done. I don't know how that happened.

BTW: It is REALLY elastic and feels sooooo nice while knitting. On the down-side, it is a pain in the butt to do cables with, since it is so elastic and I don't usually use a cable needle. I usually just drop the stitches that are to be held on a cable needle and then reposition the stitches on the working needle, but with the stretchiness of this yarn, the stitch dropped has a tendency to disappear! But, on the plus side, Shedir is primarily 2 stitch cables (only one stitch crossing over) so it's not so bad.

Okay, so 2 momentary lapses in my resolve. I sat down once more with the mitten. I remembered that I had bought Kool Aid to dye the thick and thin yarn I got from the yarn lady. "Maybe I'll wash the yarn in the Eucalan and then it will be ready to dye tomorrow morning," I thought.

um... well... you see....

OKAY. FINE. I am really really easily distracted!!!

I'm a bit undecided about the thick and thin. I like the colors but it's not what I intended. I was going for more teal/deep blue/purple-y blue. The green and red Kool-Aid seemed to take hold far stronger than the blue. I like these colors, but this is going to be for me and I don't know if I like these colors ON me. I think I'll get some blue dye (or more blue Kool Aid) and over dye the whole skein.

What? You want to know about the mitten? I TOTALLY knit on the mitten. I did.

I realize that to the untrained eye, this doesn't look that much different from the first picture. But trust me. That, right there, is ONE WHOLE ROUND of the ribbing. See? Told you I was responsible.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed so hard when I read this post. That's exactly what happens to me. I'll have a project or two that I just have to get done, but I get distracted with other pretty yarn. 'After I wind this hank into a ball I'll work on ________ project'.

    Two hours later. 'What? How did this happen?' I suddenly have 30 rows done on a project that most definitely isn't the project that I need to be working on! But I just had to see how this yarn knitted up!

    Well, that's just how it goes, isn't it? lol. Not enough time in the world to knit.

    (I got your blog URL from craftster)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.