Saturday, November 05, 2005

Christmas Present Extravaganza!!

in which only one potential Christmas Present will be viewed because the future recipients of other Christmas Presents occasionally read the blog on which this Extravaganza!! is being posted

First of all, I started this post last weekend (!!) and am only now, one week later, finding the time/energy/will to sit at the computer when I get home from work. So, when I started this post, last Saturday, this afghan was potentially a Christmas present for my mom, but I didn't get her name (in our family we pick names among the adults) so, it's still for her, but it will be a late housewarming gift rather than a Christmas gift.

(I'm still not gonna show you the other presents I've been working on, so don't get your hopes up) (COBI. I mean you) (I may still decide to keep your present for myself - you'll never know, right?) (no I won't) (maybe)

So, the first strip of the sampler afghan. I'm working from a pattern in the 2004 Knit It! (why the exclamation mark, I do not understand. Is it a very emphatic command?) but I'm substituting at least one of the blocks for one of my own. The blocks are approximately 9x12". I haven't worked on it for a week or so, but it was going quickly when I was. I'm knitting the blocks in a long strip, rather than binding off individual blocks.




the blocks are all the same measurements, that green one just looks a little wonky. also, the colors don't look quite right, but you get the general idea

The above 4 blocks are from the pattern. The one below is my own. I tried to find a pattern for a stalk of wheat (farm kid, my mom was a farm wife, it was harvest time when I started this... ) to put on one of the blocks. I couldn't find one that I liked or that looked enough like wheat (to me) so I came up with my own (handy dandy graph paper). I was first just thinking a background of reverse stocking stitch and to do the wheat in stocking stitch. As I started it, I remembered a block I had seen elsewhere for a tree done with cabling type stitches, which made the branches look connected and it really popped from the knitting. So, I decided to try crossing some of the stitches, as though I was cabling. It worked! (although I have no idea if I'll remember what I did for the next one...)


i'm choosing to not notice things about this block that I'm not completely happy with (the wheat should taper more at the top etc) and just be happy that it worked

And now, since I can't show you the pictures of the 3 sweaters mystery Christmas present projects I have going right now, you will just have to take my word for it that I've been working on them all. Not getting distracted by little things like discovering that Lewiscraft still exists (I had heard that they closed) and not only exists but carries Patons Kroy and Scheepjes sock yarn (along with other non-fun-fur yarns!!). They don't have a huge selection, but they have some. I never seem to be able to get to the LYS so I was EXTREMELY angry disappointed a couple of weeks ago to discover that Michael's in Calgary...

Actually, maybe you should sit down for this. You may remember my little rant concern over the masses of "fun" "fur" being foisted on an unsuspecting new-knitter population. Imagine, then, my dismay upon discovering that Michaels (in Calgary anyway) no longer carries Wool-Ease (by my friends at Lionbrand) or Patons Kroy Sock yarn!!!! They have Wool-Ease Thick & Quick, which is great if I want to make a really really bulky and really quick something, and they still (for now anyway) carry Patons Classic Merino Wool, but I needed some Wool-Ease and I wanted some Patons Kroy!!

Okay, where was I? Oh, yeah, Lewiscraft. Lewiscraft carries Patons yarns, and more importantly (for me, since that was what I wanted) they carry Kroy Sock yarn. Not that I bought any. I have all those Christmas presents to knit. I have discipline and self control and I wouldn't do that.



Okay, fine. You caught me. But it's not necessarily for me. I might need extra Christmas gifts or birthday presents for someone. I will still keep working on the projects on the needles. Honest. I won't cast on for a sock.



Okay, fine, you got me again. I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. It was so pretty. I haven't knit with variegated sock yarn and I wanted to see what it looked like. This could be a present for someone, you never know. But I wouldn't knit more than this. I just wanted to see what it looked like, honest.



actual time lapsed between casting on and the bottom picture: one Sunday late afternoon and evening's worth of football, talking on the phone, and Sunday evening TV. I don't know how that happened. Apparently a) I knit faster than I think I do, especially if the pattern/yarn have some element of mystery (as in "how is this going to turn out") and b) I have no self-control and I'm rationalizing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.