Friday, October 14, 2005

I'm still here. Honest.

So, you may have noticed that I haven't posted in a while. You're observant like that. It's one of the things I like about you.

What have I been up to? Well, since you asked so nicely, I'll tell you.

I've been working 10 hour days. Then I went to Saskatchewan for Thanksgiving (more on that in a minute). Then I have been working 10 hour days. Knitting (more on that after the more on the Thanksgiving). Oh, and obsessing about whether everyone I know/love in Pakistan is okay. And praying for them and for the relief effort. A little sleeping. More knitting. And most recently, trying to figure out if I should get my hair cut/where I should go for said hair cut/how I should ask for it to be cut/is it worth it to go to a "real" salon or just go to Great Clips and pay only $14 and live with whatever gets done/do I really need it cut or can I live with how annoying it is?

So, I've been busy. Please don't think that I've forgotten about you, though. I haven't forgotten you. Honest.

To prove that I think of you, here is a photo essay that I took SPECIFICALLY with the blog in mind when I was at my mom's at Thanksgiving.

When I arrived in town (Luseland, SK, population: not too big- maybe 600) I noticed that there were a lot of scarecrows out on people's lawns and thought that was kind of funny, but maybe people had started to decorate for halloween or something. Mom told me that there was actually a contest and that she had kind of wished she had one or had made one for her lawn. (You see where this is going, right?)

So, as we went for a drive to see them all and visit my aunt, ideas percolated. We arrived home and went at it.

We gathered our supplies:

This pile of supplies is random things pulled from the scraps in mom's sewing stuff, an old jacket, an old pair of jeans, a blanket, and an old pillow.

We started to stuff the body:



We had decided that our scarecrow would be "retired" and would be lounging in a lawnchair, thus saving ourselves having to figure out a way to make him stand up. So, being that it's farm country, he had to wear a cap. I used a leg from an old pair of pantyhose and stitched through the stuffing to make the face.

I may have gotten slightly carried away at some point around the face...

He looked pretty realistic just lying there on the couch:

We moved him for night, just in case one of us got up and saw him and freaked out.

The next day, with the addition of boots, some corn husks and a cardboard "book" (entitled: "Enjoying Your Retirement: A Scarecrow's Guide") he was set for a long nap on his lawn chair.


When my brother's family arrived for our dinner that afternoon, the kids were so excited about the scarecrow (we hadn't told them we were making it) that they ran around and around on the lawn laughing and screaming. I call that a success.

But now, dear readers, dear friends, I should probably do some work. This post will be my break for the day.

More on knitting news later.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love these kinds of things!! I once made a life-size doll similar to yours for my mother. She had fat ankles and we shoved them in little shoes. She sits at my mom's house and terrorizes people who aren't aware she's there. How fun. I love yours!! The face looks great. I think that's the really hard part.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so glad you stopped by. I'd love to hear from you.